My research interests are in Management, more specifically in:
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Change and Innovation Management
- Organizational Behaviour
- Non-profit organizations management (in particular volunteer management)
Researcher ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-6186-2009
The article “Great Places to Work®: Resilience in Times of Crisis”, published in Human Resource Management (DOI: 10.1002/hrm.21676), was distinguished with the II Santander Award for Research in Corporate Social Responsibility (2016).
Principal Researcher in the project “The financial impact of best-practice awards”, financed by FCT (Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia – the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology) – FCT project reference PTDC/EGE-GES/121377/2010 (March 2012 – February 2014). Application assessment: Excellent.
To date, I have supervised 20 Master’s Theses and I currently have 3 PhD students.
I supervise students in the following subjects:
- Strategic human resource management: studies that explore HRM as a configurational system, assess HRM as a “strong system” (distinctive, consistent, consensual), and measure its impact on HRM effectiveness.
- Segmented employment management: studies that assess the consequences of combining different employment contracts (permanent vs. temporary, full vs part-time, private vs. public. etc) in the same organisation, and measuring differences between employee groups in variables such as organisational commitment, perceptions of justice, perceptions of organisational support, organisational citizenship behaviour and individual performance.
- Innovation management/organisational learning: studies that describe and explain how organisations learn and innovate, and assess their organisational climates with reference to climates associated in the literature with change, innovation, and creativity.
- Non-profit organisations: studies that describe and explain how these organisations manage their resources, in particular their human resources, and especially volunteers.